Health Benefits of Fitovers Sunglasses
While wearing sunglasses is more of a comfort issue for people who already have Glaucoma, it is a preventative measure for eye diseases like Cataracts and Macular Degeneration.
- Glaucoma is a chronic eye condition in which pressure can cause damage to the optic nerve resulting in vision loss and blindness. This condition can make eyes highly sensitive to light and glare, making sunglasses a go-to for people who suffer from Glaucoma.
- Macular Degeneration (AMD) is the degeneration of the macula, which is responsible for sharp central vision, causing blind spots directly ahead. Like Glaucoma, people with AMD are also very sensitive to light, however, sunglasses are even more important because using them can help prevent the acceleration of the disease.
- A Cataract is a clouding over the lens of one’s eye. UV radiation increases your odds of getting cataracts, making the use of sunglasses an important factor for prevention of cataracts.
- Other UV-related eye problems include:
- Pterygium (when the conjunctiva grows into the cornea)
- Pingueculum (a yellowish bump of tissue on the white of the eye)
- Photokeratitis is a corneal sunburn that’s also known as snow blindness – skiers and snowboarders are particularly vulnerable to this temporary but acutely painful condition.
If you suffer from any of these issues, wearing sunglasses may help you find comfort, prevent acceleration of conditions, or both. Here are some ways Jonathan Paul Eyewear™ can benefit you:
- Polarized Polarvue® lenses – enhance visual acuity to reduce eyestrain and increase contrast
- 100% UVA/UVB protection – featured in all 150 of JP Fitovers styles
- Check the lens tint – The lens tint should block 75-90% of light. All 8 Fitovers lens color options fall within or close to this range with transmittance values ranging from 30-10.56%
- Yellow lenses available – Some lenses can offer enhanced contrast for AMD sufferers and this color lens has been found to be ideal for 90% of eye issues. *Please note: While this color lens may be great for strain relief and light sensitivity relief indoors, it is not recommended for use while driving due to hues of traffic lights.
- Wrap-around frames – As much as 20% of UV light can reach the eyes by coming in through the sides of sunglasses. All Fitovers frames are wrap-around and block light from above and both sides.
- Polycarbonate Mirror Lenses – Not only highly durable material, but the mirror coating on these lenses by Fitovers helps cut visible light and high-glare, providing added protection.
Jonathan Paul® Fitovers Eyewear has you covered from all angles. Since their frames are full coverage, wrap around design, with or without side lenses, you don’t have to worry about sunshine blinding you from above or the sides. Fitovers can be worn with or without prescription glasses and are unisex.
*Remember, wearing sunglasses is only one method of prevention of these diseases. Other precautionary actions and/or lifestyle changes are necessary to prevent accelerating these issues. Be sure to visit your doctor and do outside research on other aspects of prevention, such as diet, exercise, treatments, and eye exam frequency.